To view the Notifications sent from the Opsview Monitor system, you should click on 'Notifications' menu item within 'Monitoring':
This view is a great way to check that Notifications are correctly being sent, and to also pinpoint what has been sent and when.
By default, the Notifications view is set to show Notifications that were generated within the last day:
There are three options within the 'Notifications from the:' drop-down:
- Last day
- Last week
- Last month
Once selected, the table will dynamically re-populate based on the duration specified.
If you wish to view Notifications between a specific date/time period, click on the 'Notifications from a particular date range' radio button. This will allow you to set:
- State date
- Start time
- End date
- End time
After you have selected the 'to' and 'from' date and time fields, you need to click the 'search' icon which will populate the table with the relevant Notifications. If you select an invalid time and date range, i.e. the end date is before the start date, then an error will appear when the search icon is pressed:
Within the table there are 7 columns:
These columns are:
- Time: The date and time when the Notification was generated.
- Host: The Host which has failed, or has a Service Check that has failed.
- Service Check: If the Host check command has caused the notification to be generated, then 'n/a' will be listed here. If not, then the name of the Service Check will be listed here.
- Status: The status of the Service Check or Host at the time of the notification, i.e. if the notification was sent because the Service Check changed to a 'CRITICAL' state, then the 'Status:' column will display the 'CRITICAL' label.
- Users: The number of Users who were notified about this problem. This number is clickable and will load a new modal window displaying the User and the name of the Notification Profile for that User.
- Notification Type: The type of Notification. This will most commonly be 'NORMAL' Other Notification types include: 'ACKNOWLEDGEMENT','FLAPPING STARTED','FLAPPING STOPPED','FLAPPING DISABLED','DOWNTIME STARTED','DOWNTIME STOPPED','DOWNTIME CANCELLED','CUSTOM'
- Information: Service Check/Host check command output at time of failure.
There are two items within the table that can be clicked on; you can click on the contextual menu and 'Investigate' the item which will load the investigate view as below:
The other item that can be clicked on is the 'number' within the 'Users' column. When clicked, this will list the User notified for this issue, the Notification Profile that caused the Notification, the methods used to notify the User and the Notification Methods they were notified by:
In the above screen, we can see that two Users were notified about the issue in question. Admin was notified twice as they have two Notification Profiles which matched the issue; '01testprofile' and '02receiveallalertsduringworkhours' (the latter is the Shared Notification Profile we saw earlier).
The icons listed within 'Notification Method' can be 'moused-over' to reveal the specific Notification
Method , as shown below:
The list of Notifications can also be exported using the 'Export' button located in the top right:
The Notifications can be exported to a .csv, .json or .xml format which will be generated by Opsview Monitor and then downloaded via the browser, as below:
This file can then be emailed, stored or opened and further analyzed, as below: